Apply for Funding
Our 2018 application is now available! We look forward to reading your proposals.
What to Know When You Apply
We aim to be as accessible and transparent as possible in our application process. If you meet our funding criteria, please apply. Don't worry about it being perfect. If we have questions or need more information we'll reach out to you.
- An online application will be available April 1, 2018.
- Grants will be made on a rolling basis, with preference given to those received by May 15.
- Once all grants have been made, we will close applications for the year and post information about the next grant cycle.
- We will make grants of up to $18,000 in the form of general operating funds.
- If you are in need of rapid response funding due to an immediate crisis or situation, please look into our Rapid Response/Seed Money Fund.
- Please note: we do not fund organizations that primarily offer direct services as a means of addressing inequity.
What We Fund
SAS will make gifts to organizations/groups with 501(c)(3) status (or a fiscal sponsor) that meet these criteria:
- The work is led by the people most impacted by injustice.
- The work is grounded in leadership development and community organizing.
- Organizations and movements are using an anti-racism lens in their work.
- Organizing is happening in deep partnership with other communities and groups.
- Organizing is building progressive community power for systemic change (note that this may include some direct service components).
- Minnesota-based organizing.
- If you are not a Minnesota-based organization or are looking for 501(c)(4) funding, please contact us.
While we won't require the following, we will prioritize funding work that is:
- Led by communities of color.
- Happening in rural communities.
- Developing creative and meaningful ways of working collectively towards equity and justice.
- Prioritizing multi-racial, multi-generational, or statewide partnerships and alignments.
- Integrating education and organizing into civic engagement.
- Organizing that understands and addresses the current political climate while working towards long-term movement building.
- Organizations with budgets of $2,000,000 or less.